If you have discovered asbestos in your home or office, you should not touch it. Stay away as far as possible, especially if you’re not wearing PPE, such as a mask. Touching asbestos can create dust, which is exactly what you should avoid. You may unknowingly inhale asbestos fibres from the dust. The material is not dangerous if it is not damaged. If there are no signs of wear and tear, it is best to leave it alone.

Asbestos is not always a health risk. For example, internal cement sheets containing asbestos may still be in excellent condition. With coats of paint and asbestos undisturbed or damaged, it is not often a cause for concern.